From: openldap-software-bounces+arunachalamp=huawei.com@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:openldap-software-bounces+arunachalamp=huawei.com@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Eric Irrgang
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:35 AM
To: Arunachalam Parthasarathy
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic Indexing through cn=config

What version of OL are you running?

It sounds like the new index was not built properly.  How did you add the

indexing?  You should either

a) add the index while slapd is running by doing an ldapmodify to the

database entry in cn=config

or

b) stop the slapd server, edit the config, run slapindex, and then restart

the server

Any other approach will yield strange results.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Arunachalam Parthasarathy wrote:

> Hello,

> I used bdb as a backend

> Started slapd with ,  ./slapd -h "ldap://<ip>:<port>" -F

> /etc/openldap/slapd.d/ -f  /etc/openldap/slapd.conf"

> Step 1: I added indexing on a attribute (sn), in the cn=config sub-tree,

> Step 2: If I search through the tree (cn=config), the added entry is not

> reflected

> To Check, I added entries, it was not indexed on the added attribute (sn.bdb

> is not getting generated in bdb directory)

> Step 3: When I try to add one more time , the same entry as Step 1, it says

> , entry already exists

> Step 4: Now when I search cn=config tree, I am able to see the sn index

> entry in olCDbIndex

> Now I added entries, it was getting indexed on the added attribute (sn.bdb

> is generated in bdb directory)

> Please say why is this happening

> Thanks a lot in advance,

> Arunachalam.

> This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,

> which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed

> above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including,

> but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or

> dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is

> prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by

Eric Irrgang - UT Austin ITS Unix Systems - (512)475-9342