32 bit to 64 bit migration performance problems

I am moving our ldap instances to new servers; the old servers are 32 bit, the new ones are 64 bit.  I have compiled the same versions of bdb (4.2.52) and openldap (2.2.26) with the same flags on the new servers.  After running DirectoryMark tests, I have found the operations per second has gone down 33% - from 299 on the old servers to 192 on the new ones.
I have tried adding what I think are the 64 bit flags to the compilation of bdb and openldap.  LDFLAGS='-m64' and CFLAGS='-m64'
This has resulted in the operations/second going down further to 52.

Are there different compilation flags I should use for 64 bit systems?  Or, is the performance change of -33% to be expected when moving from 32 bit to 64 bit?