Problem with chain overlay crashing consumer slapd

Hi,

I am having a problem with changing password against consumer server.
However, the problem would be gone if the loglevel is set to "1" or "-1"
on the consumer server. If loglevel is set to other value, slapd would
crash upon last communication during password changing process. Such
problem does not appear on provider, on which I can set loglevel to any
value without issue. Consumer server has chain overlay setup.

Here are the commands I used for testing:

ldappasswd -v -H ldap://provider -D
"uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com" -W -S -x -A
(Works all the time)
ldappasswd -v -H ldap://consumer -D
"uid=user1,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com" -W -S -x -A               (Works
only when loglevel set to 1 or -1)

The servers run 2.3.35 with bdb-4.5.20_p2. Client runs 2.3.27.  Could
this be related to chain overlay setup? or something else? What's so
confusing is that it worked under certain situations, but not others.

Simon