Re: Roles

Thanks for this Pieranglo, this has pointed me in the right direction.

However I have now added the aliasedObjectName into my structure, but I cannot work out how to use ldapsearch to show me who the director would be.  So the structure is now:

ou=contacts,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,dc=directory,ou=base
    cn=Russell Seymour

ou=roles,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,dc=directory,ou=base
    cn=Director
       aliasedObjectName: cn=Russell Seymour,ou=contacts,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,dc=directory,dc=base

So when I search on the Director for the Dummy Corp I want ldap to return the name of the person that is referenced.  I know that I need to use -a in the ldapsearch, but I have not worked out what the options to be set are.

Thanks again, Russell

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Russell Seymour wrote:

Good afternoon all,

I have two containers within my OpenLDAP directory:

ou=roles,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,ou=directory,ou=base

ou=contacts,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,ou=directory,ou=base

As you would expect I have an entries in the contact list for people in
the company that I have an entry for, e.g.

cn=Russell Seymour,ou=contacts,ou=Dummy
Corp,ou=clients,ou=directory,ou=base

this has all the attributes such as address and email etc.

Now in the ou for Roles contains the entry

cn=Director,ou=roles,ou=Dummy Corp,ou=clients,ou=directory,ou=base

and in this entry I have the roleOccupant, which has the full DN for the
person in the contacts list.

The question is, is it possible to link the roleOccupant to the person
within an ldapsearch so that when I query the Director of the company i
get the details of the person that it is linked to?

Not sure if it entirely fits your needs, but you should look at aliases
(RFC4512) and make search deref them as appropriate, see RFC4511 &
ldapsearch(1).

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
OpenLDAP Core Team

SysNet s.r.l.