Re: [Rivendell] idassert-bind not working as expected?

Hello Pierangelo,

First, thank you for the response.  I will re-test with the current stable
release (2.3.32).

FYI, we chose the slapd-meta backend to allow for redundancy and work with
multiple remote servers (I had read in the man page "the ldap backend is
intended to proxy operations directed to a single server").

Would you have a sample configuration file for the working situtation?  I
never see a "simple authentication" bind go out from the OpenLDAP meta server,
so something is definitely wrong on that end (either configuration or bug).

best to you,
donfede

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 07:32:03PM +0200, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> Your setup, with minor changes (the naming contexts, and the remote
> server is OpenLDAP as well) works just fine with current re23 and HEAD
> code, using either slapd-meta(5) (why?) or slapd-ldap(5) with
> slapo-rwm(5).  So the devil must be in the details.  In any case, since
> OpenLDAP 2.3.30 there were at least 10 fixes/ehnahcement to
> slapd-ldap(5) and at least 6 to slapd-meta(5), so an upgrade might help.
>
> p.
>
> Federico Grau wrote:
> > With minimal information as requested by the moderators multiple times.  Why
> > doesn't idassert-bind work as expected?  When I try an anonymous query to an
> > "LDAP" server via an OpenLDAP server configured as a proxy (backend meta , or
> > backend ldap), the query fails because the OpenLDAP server does not bind (even
> > when I try setting the "idassert-bind" option).
> >
> >     # sample failed anonymous query to AD via OpenLDAP
> >     ldapsearch  -H "ldap://localhost/"; -b "ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org" -x
> >
> >     # expected query to be performed by ldap server
> >  	ldapsearch -H "ldap://dc1.rfa.org/"; -b "cn=users,dc=rfa,dc=org" \
> >  		-D "CN=LDAP Proxy user account,OU=Windows,DC=rfa,DC=org" -W \
> >  		-x
> >
> >     # using (tcpdump -x -s0 port 389) I never see a bind sent from OpenLDAP,
> >     # and instead I see an error returned from the "LDAP" server because a
> >     # bind not successful.
> >

> >     # backend meta portion of the slapd.conf file
> >     ##database    ldap
> >     database    meta
> >
> >     suffix      "ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org"
> >     uri         "ldap://dc1.rfa.org/ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org";
> >
> >     suffixmassage   ou=windows,dc=rfa,dc=org
> >                     cn=users,dc=rfa,dc=org
> >
> >     idassert-authzFrom "dn:*"
> >     #Xidassert-bind   bindmethod=simple binddn="ldap-proxy@rfa.org" credentials="222222"
> >     idassert-bind   bindmethod=simple binddn="CN=LDAP Proxy user account,OU=Windows,DC=rfa,DC=org" credentials="222222"  mode=none
> >     dncache-ttl     60
> >

> > My environment is made up of Debian stable (4.0 Etch) on the workstations and
> > OpenLDAP server, OpenLDAP 2.3.30-5 on the server.  "LDAP" Server on the remote
> > end.
> >

> > thank you,
> > donfede
> >

> Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
> OpenLDAP Core Team
>
> SysNet s.r.l.
> via Dossi, 8 - 27100 Pavia - ITALIA
> http://www.sys-net.it
> ---------------------------------------
> Office:  +39 02 23998309
> Mobile:  +39 333 4963172
> Email:   pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it

Federico Grau
Free Software Developer and Sysadmin
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20036
202-587-2046  Telephone
202-721-7468  Facsimile
CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact network@rfa.org.