Globally Disable Referrals

Is there a way to configure OpenLdap client software to globally disable referrals?
Is there any side effect to doing so?

I'm being bitten by an Operations Error when querying an AD server and its been
traced down to the default behavior of automatically tracing down referrals in
an anonymous fashion.

I'd like to limit having to alter numerous other ldap aware applications that are
all using ldap_search_ext_s. I could probably alter the
ldap_initialize function source (or some other location) to automatically perform a

ldap_set_option(ld, LDAP_OPT_REFERRALS, LDAP_OPT_OFF)

but I'd rather not if I don't need to.
I've tried a --disable-referrals in the configure command, but it didn't seem to
affect my results.

Brian