Re: Server Certificate Chain

Kari,

I have already tried adding my Root/Child certificate bundle via TLSCACertificateFile but it doesn't make any difference and according to the documentation the directive only specifies certificates for CA's that slapd will trust.

The other thing which I have tried was adding the Child /subordinate/ CA certificate right after the Server certificate in TLFCertificateFile which also didn't lead to any success.

Of course I could always add the Child CA certificate to all of the Windows machine stores and evrything would work just fine, but that's not the whole idea of paying for trusted certificate.

I would like to be able to specify the server certificate chain just like I've done that with SSLCertificateChainFile in apache2 for example.

~Cheers~

On 4/18/07, Kari Mattsson <kari@trivore.com> wrote:
Krasimir Ganchev wrote:
> Hello guys,
>

> I am using a globally recognized certificate with my openldap server
>  which is issued by a Child CA trusted by the Root CA of my
> certificate provider. Is there any possible way to include the Child
> CA certificate within the server certificate chain?

I have file (on Linux) /etc/ssl/certs/trivore- ca-bundle.crt, which looks
like

# The Trivore 4096 rootCA certificate:
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIGhjCCBG6gAwIBAgIBADANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQQFADBtMQswCQYDVQQGEwJGSTEW
...deleted...
aumDU+F7CFlUMZllhTLmiAYN14j7chcClbHfREhopXPTtVb5EyJ6EQK+
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
# ...
# The Trivore 4096 CA 01 certificate:
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIGqDCCBJCgAwIBAgIBATANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQUFADBtMQswCQYDVQQGEwJGSTEW
...deleted...
Dyc4ZHUjqXz/n/CQjWBCwKPxF3fwci7UZuly9g==
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

..and then in the slapd.conf:

TLSCACertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/trivore-ca-bundle.crt
TLSCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/hostname.crt
TLSCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/hostname.key
TLSCipherSuite HIGH

among other lines.

hostname.crt is created by CA01 during certification process.

Just having appropriate/relevant lines in ldap.conf makes the client
work nicely with the server.

Same goes, if you import the rootCA and subordinateCA (CA01) to your
Windows box.  There is a separate slot on Windows for root and
intermediate/subordinate CAs.  ...but that goes outside the scope of
this list.

> The thing is that I have couple of windows based clients using my
> openldap server and I can't make them verify the server certificate.
> The Root CA is included in the trusted Root CAs Windows store, but
> since the Child CA ain't there and doesn't appear in the certificate
> chain the clients could not verify the server certificate and give up
> with an error unless they are being configured to ignore errors.
>

> That's the reason why I would like to include the Child CA /Signing
> CA/ certificate within the server certificate chain which will allow
> those clients to confirm server's certificate and its signing CA
> certificate against the trusted root CA.
>

> Is there any possible way to achieve that and is it up to
> configuration?
>

> Any help is appreciated!

Did it help?

> All my best,