From: Aaron Richton [mailto:richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:40 AM
To: Marcum, Bob
Cc: openldap-software@openldap.org
Subject: Re: database configuration questions

There's not enough information (i.e. the whole slapd.conf) here to tell
for sure, but my crystal ball guess would be that your previous
slapd.conf
has a context that conflicts with this new "appended" context.

Try slaptest -d config (sounds like -d config -f /root/slapd.conf in
your
case?) to get a better idea of what's going on.

Crystal ball guesses can be bad; include a full sanitized slapd.conf if
you're going to follow up.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Marcum, Bob wrote:

> This is a re-transmission of a message I sent yesterday, but seems did
> not get through.
>

> I am sure having a tough time sorting out what, I think, are truly
basic
> and fundamental isses!
>

> I just want to create an ldap database which will house a
> uniqueIdentifier for a user, and an associated userPassword.  I simply
> want to authenticate users (not system users, as in /etc/passwd) with
> their password.  I cannot get the database configured so slapd will
even
> come up.
>

> Here is my database configuration, which I have simply appended to the
> default slapd.conf file that normally resides in /etc/openldap on my
> linux machine:
>

> database           bdb
>
> suffix                 "dn=clearerDB"
>
> rootdn               "cn=clearerDBmgr, dn=clearerDB"
>
> rootpw               myPassword
>

> directory            /var/ldapDBs/clearerDB
>

> index                objectClass       eq
>
> index                uniqueIdentifier   eq
>
> index                userPassword    eq
>
> # Other attributes used in this database:
>
> # displayName
>
> # businessCategory
>

> Actually, I have this full config file in my root's directory (I am
> logged in as root).  So when I run this command
>

>            /usr/lib/openldap/slapd -f /root/slapd.conf
>

> slapd fails to come up.  When I comment out my additional database
> configuration text, it does come up okay.
>

> BYW, the database directory does already exist; i.e., I have created
> those directories prior to attempting to bring up slapd.
>

> So ... I have these questions:
>
> 1)                   What am I doing wrong?
>
> 2)                   What will cause the password for a specific
> uniqueIdentifier to be associated with one another?
>
> 3)                   Surely, slapd is reporting out to some log a
record
> of what he is doing when he comes up, or attempts to come up.  What
log
> file? Where?
>

> Thanks for your time and help.

> The information in this message may be proprietary and/or
confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify First Data
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer.