syncrepl updates from consumer

I have just added a second openldap server 2.3.30 to my network and
setup syncrepl in refreshOnly mode. I connected to the consumer ldap
server using a ldap client but when I tried to make a change I got an error
stating that I must have an update referral setup. After adding the
updateref to my consumer slapd.conf and restarting that I get an error
stating that "modifications require stronger authentication desc
Strong(er) authentication required."

Now if I try to add updatedn to the consumer slapd.conf I get the
following error starting the ldap server:
<updatedn> database already shadowed

Here is the last bit of my slapd.conf from the consumer:
syncrepl
  rid=100
  provider="ldap://192.168.1.40:389";
  binddn="uid=syncuser,ou=People,dc=radimg,dc=pitt,dc=edu"
  bindmethod=simple
  credentials=###CHANGED###
  searchbase="dc=radimg,dc=pitt,dc=edu"
  filter="(objectClass=*)"