Re: Migrating openldap db backend from ibdm to bdb

On 2/26/07, Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no> wrote:
Quanah Gibson-Mount writes:
> Using vendor packages to run an OpenLDAP server is nearly always a bad
> idea (Mandriva's a definite exception).  There is almost nothing that
> motivates the vendor to use current releases, or backport stability
> fixes.  There are known problems with the connection code in OL
> 2.3.27, for example, that were fixed in OpenLDAP 2.3.32.  In general,
> use vendor packages at extreme risk.

Is there something particular which makes this more so for OpenLDAP than
other packages, or are OpenLDAP releases more buggy than other packages,
or are existing bugs more likely to be fatal, or...?

I had the impression that this was mostly a RedHat issue.  But if it's
more general, it sounds like the only likely fix would be in OpenLDAP
or the release methods or something.

It's more a general problem with the decoupled nature of linux
distros.  OpenLDAP is simply mentioned a lot on this list.  :)