RE: cleaning up logs from bdb db and upgrading ldap

Sorry it has taken me to so long to reply. I want to thank
everyone for your help on both cases. I do have a further
question on the log rotation part.

I added:

set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

to the DB_CONFIG file. When I restarted the daemon, I did not
see any difference in the number of log.* files. Since I rebuilt
the db yesterday, the only log.* file to be modified when I restarted it
today was the last one numerically speaking. I am guessing, since this
particular ldap port has not had any activity except some reads, that

1) only the last log would be modified since restarting
2) the number of logs I have would always start with this much whenever
   I rebuild (slapcat/slapadd)
3) to see more logs, then more activity would have to happen and then
   I would start to see some logs be removed.

Is this right? Also, reading in the documentation:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/api_c/env_set_flags.html#DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

It notes:

"If set, Berkeley DB will automatically remove log files that are no longer needed.
Automatic log file removal is likely to make catastrophic recovery impossible."

So, I worry. Is there a way to reduce the number of log files and be able
to be safe against catastrophic problems? I am guessing the only way to
do this is to rebuild the db from scratch via slapcat/slapadd? Thanks for
any help!