Re: Salted passwords, further clarification please

On 1/26/07, Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com> wrote:
m h wrote:

> I'm trying to write a script to change the rootpw value in slapd.conf.

Why? Parsing slapd.conf yourself is error-prone. If you really need the
rootdn I would disable rootpw in slapd.conf and add a real entry for
rootdn for which you can set the userPassword attribute.

Thanks to all for their responses. I should use the existing tools to update the password instead of parsing slapd.conf. In order to do so, I need to move the rootdn/rootpw into the database. So my next question is how to migrate the rootdn from slapd.conf into the database? Seems like a chicken and egg problem.

(Perhaps I'm not searching for the right terms on google.  The example
from 7.1 here [1], shows what appears to be a rootdn entry (dn:
cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com), but I can't set the userPasswd because
it is not a person.)

thanks

matt

1 - http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/dbtools.html