Re: Multi Master Enviornment for Openldap 2.3

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 02:52:21AM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> Alex Samad wrote:

> >>As noted in many previous messages, mirrormode addresses this situation
> >>automatically.
> >But with one exception you can't write to both database at the same time
>
> Right, nor do you need such a capability for a high-availability solution.
Sorry I am lost, if I set up 2 nodes (as a side question can you have more than
2 nodes in mirrormode ?) in mirror mode. server A and server b.

and then setup dns round robin to balance the load, or should I use a load
balancer in front of them.  But how do I guarantee that I don't write to both
at the same time.  The only way I can think of do that is to point all the
clients to server A and then fail back to server b.

When I think of a multi master solution, I think of something like oracle rac's
solution or novell's NDS (form memory it is a ldap tree, configured in multi
master mode, I might be wrong).  with Oracle rac you can write to any of the
nodes and it handles it properly (albeit the oracle rac setup uses shared
storage)