SASL GSSAPI authentication with Sun Java Directory Server 5.2P4

I am trying to use OpenLDAP's ldapsearch to connect to a Sun DS 5.2
server using SASL/GSSAPI to authenticate. The setup works perfectly
fine on Solaris clients, but not on Linux ones using OpenLDAP's
ldapsearch (Debian sid on x86). Instead, it always gives the following
error:

SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)
        additional info: SASL(-13): authentication failure: GSSAPI
Error: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more
information (Unknown code 188)

This error is coming from the DS server (right?), so I know this may
not be OpenLDAP's problem. I was just wondering if anyone else had
encountered this problem, or if there are any workarounds or anything,
or if this is known to just not work at all.

I'm using the Cyrus SASL implementation with MIT Kerberos. I tried this
with ldapsearch 2.3.30 and 2.2.23.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason2@uiuc.edu