Re: Notes on LDAP Performance, docs

<quote who="Howard Chu">
> In a recent blog entry
> http://www.connexitor.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=103
>
> I discussed how LDAP gets misused in some applications, using sendmail as
> an
> example. Gavin Henry commented that some of that material ought to go in
> the
> FAQ-o-Matic. And I replied with the usual "the FAQ-o-Matic is open for
> anyone
> to contribute."

Too true. The e-mail post in question is in my reply to Howards post. It
was so detailed and clearly explained, that is must go in the main docs
;-)

> I think we could really use someone to volunteer to be a documentation
> lead,
> because just relying on random members of the community to contribute is
> just
> too, well, random.

I kind of put myself forward Dec/Jan, but the day job has taken over
again. Many things I proposed/started are just on hold, so if anyone wants
to help, I can get them up to speed.

> One of the things such a doc person might do is take responsibility for
> merging useful mailing list posts into the FAQ-o-Matic.

I've pulled in all the Performance/Tuning stuff for the tuning sdf, just
need to make it coherent.

> Another task that would be a big help would be to sift thru the current
> entries in the FAQ and identify articles that can move into the Admin
> Guide.
> Part of that task may include consolidating information from several FAQ
> items into a single coherent piece of text.

Started that also ;-)

> If you've been looking for a way to get more involved in the OpenLDAP
> community, this would be a great way to start. You don't have to be a
> programmer, and you'll learn a lot on the way. Plus you'll get that warm
> fuzzy feeling from knowing you've helped to improve the OpenLDAP package
> for
> all to benefit.

Exactly.

Also, if you've got ideas for additional content or areas that you feel
that you know a lot about, then why not let everyone know and we can
allocate a topic etc. and start a "who's got what" on the FAQ-O-Matic.

Thanks,

Gavin.

--
Kind Regards,