Re: slow shutdowns

On Jan 25, 2007, at 6:49 AM, Aaron Richton wrote:

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Howard Chu wrote:

matthew sporleder wrote:
I'm running a pretty large slapd 2.3.23 (3G-5G or so) and shutdown is
taking anywhere from twenty minutes to an hour. (I'm still waiting
for a shutdown and hoping for an hour)
I was just wondering what exactly was happening. I suspect that it's
something in bdb_db_close(), but I'm not sure what's really going on
since truss is just sitting around and prstat reports the pid in
sleep.
My guess is that it's walking the entire cache and free-ing it, but I
would expect the memory to change or the truss to return free's in
that case. Any ideas? My last log messages are:
daemon: shutdown requested and initiated.
slapd shutdown: waiting for 0 threads to terminate

Attach to it with gdb and get a stack trace.

Always good advice, but given that heavy disk activity, do you have an appropriate checkpoint directive set?

Symptoms would be 1) problem occurs only after some period of real activity, not when stopped immediately after start, and 2) large fraction of time in I/O wait state (cf. top, vmstat.) I don't know for sure what an appropriate checkpoint would be, but I know what happens without one.

	Donn Cave, donn@u.washington.edu