Re: Disaster recovery question wrt replication

Use of slurpd certainly isn't a modern architecture, especially with concern for rapid DR, for reasons including your question at hand. Look into syncrepl (make sure to upgrade to 2.3.30 first) and mirrormode.

I would argue that the way to deal with HA/DR with OpenLDAP is to install enough slaves that you feel the odds of complete failure are tolerable, and work on a good DR plan for the event of a master failure. With that said, slapcat/slapadd is the preferred server turnup technique, DR or not. With slapadd -q and sufficient RAM you can achieve reasonable (i.e. minutes) turnup times even on fairly large databases. On modern storage backends (bdb/hdb) slapcat is safe to do hot, so slapcat/slapadd will give you a fairly quick recovery with any interval between backups that you feel comfortable with. If you require greater availability than "minutes," mirrormode is probably the right idea.

I'm pretty sure that mirrormode requires syncrepl. I'm not personally sure, I've deferred considering it until 2.4.