Re: Problem with OIDs....

"shilpa muramkar" <ratnashilpa@gmail.com> writes:

> For the previous directory server which we used we had not used any specific
> OIDs.Now for openLDAP i need to have a specific OID.

> I have tried out all possible sample OIDs and have failed.........so now i
> have gone back to my usual  string instead of an OID,,,,like,,,
>

> attributetype( ssarole-oid
>  NAME 'ssarole'
>  DESC 'This attribute defines the role'
>  SYNTAX 'cis'
>  MULTI-VALUE )

discriptors to identify a syntax are not used in LDAP.
You really should read a good book on LDAP to understand the protocol
and schema design, in particular syntax specifications. I have pointed
you already to RFC-4517 (Syntaxes and Matching Rules).
For a first start you could read
http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.html
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/schema.html
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl