OpenLDAP configured for TLS not listenting on port 636

I am just now venturing for the first time into using SSL with
OpenLDAP.  The principal problem (or at least the first symptom of the
problem) is that the server is listening only on port 389 and not 636
(according to netstat)

OpenLDAP was built with the '--with-tls' configuration parameter.  While
I intend get a regular certificate, for testing purposes I created my
own certificate using CA.pl.  I copied the output files to where I want
to keep them and added the additional configuration info to slapd.conf:

TLSCertificateFile /usr/local/etc/openldap/Certs/newcert.pem
TLSCertificateKeyFile /usr/local/etc/openldap/Certs/newkey.pem

When I start OpenLDAP, I'm prompted to enter the PEM pass phrase.

A ps command confirms that the start-up script did the right thing:

/usr/local/libexec/slapd -u ldap -h ldap:/// ldaps:///

But ssl connections fail and a netstat command only shows the server
listening on port 389.

Is there something I'm missing at this point merely to get the server
listening on port 636?

Thanks.

--

Rob Tanner