Re: slapd-relay and slapo-rwm questions

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Everything that the local slapd returns directly to a client must exist
in the local slapd's schema. You can only get away with using undefined
schema elements when forwarding queries to a remote server, and even then
you shouldn't - you should import the remote schema into the local slapd.

Remember, we don't support "schemachecking off" any more - we expect
everything that we touch to have valid schema definitions.

I don't see why it is necessary for whatever the attribute gets mapped *to* to exist in the local schema. I don't see why I should be forced to load mozilla's schema, for example, to rewrite attributes I have in my server to what mozilla wants, or why I should create some bogus "display-name" attribute just so I can rewrite "displayName" to "display-name" for outlook. To me, the whole idea here, is I want to present to the client attributes that are syntax correct in the underlying DB, since they are forced to be there, as whatever I want the end client to see them as. As is, this whole overlay becomes worthless to me without that ability.

The rwm overlay is probably not usable regardless, there are a lot of ITS's outstanding against it.

As for your schema complaint - I already gave you a clear explanation, there's nothing further to say.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com