Re: How do I fix issues of really poor performance

--On Thursday, October 05, 2006 11:58 AM -0700 Rob Tanner <rtanner@linfield.edu> wrote:

Hi,

I'm replacing an old Netscape server running on a 296 MHz dual processor
Solaris 5.7 (sun4u sparc) box with OpenLDAP 2.3.27 running on a single
2.4GHz processor Intel box running Fedora Core 4.  I have duplicated one
of my hierarchies -- approx 9000 entries.  There is an index on an
attribute called deptaffiliationcodes (on both systems) which I'm using
as a search filter to make sure everything is working.  Dumping the
results to /dev/null, a search on the Netscape server takes typically 35
milliseconds to complete.  The exact same search on the OpenLDAP server
takes between 2.5 to 3.5 seconds.  And that's way too slow for me to put
the OpenLDAP server into production.

I am using the bdb backend and the example DB_CONFIG file which sets the
cache size to 268435456 bytes, which is bigger than the actual size of
dn2id.bdb and id2entry.bdb combined (about 16Mb).  What other factors can
affect performance?

entrycache and idlcachesize are other things to look at. On Linux, I'd advise using something other than the default glibc allocator as well, it sucks. I've been using hoard, but I have 64 bit systems as well.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer