Master-Slave synchronizing problem

Hello,

I am using openldap 1.23.2.8 .
I have one master server and 4 slaves.
One problem which I have noticed in the openldap is that, whenever any attribute of a record is changed in master, while synchronizing it with the slave, the corresponding record in the slave is completely deleted and added freshly instead of updating the modified attributes.
Due to the above, for some fraction of time (seconds), the record is not there in the slaves.
If the person concerning to that record trys to authenticate during this time ( as we use slave for authentication ), it is showing authentication failure. The more serious problem is that if a mail comes to this receipent during that fraction of time it will be bounced.
Please let me know the solution for this problem.

regards,
Mahesh