slapadd: database doesn't support necessary operations

REL_ENG_2_3 from a few hours ago (labeled as 2.3.26)

I get this error when trying to slapadd an ldif file with the -w option
on a database that is glue'd:

# slapadd -b dc=example,dc=com -w -v -g < remote1.ldif
slapadd: database doesn't support necessary operations.

(same without -g)

Since I'm having lots of problems with syncrepl in a cascading setup +
glued databases, I was wondering if the above error is expected in this
setup or could help diagnose my other issues.