Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

On 8/14/06, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

--On Monday, August 14, 2006 12:23 PM -0400 Jeff Grant
<jgrant@voicesignal.com> wrote:

> Hey all.
> I work at a medium-sized software company and we're about 70-100 users
> big now.
> We have 2 LDAP servers, and they need to be backed up regularly, *while*
> LDAP is running - if possible.
> I've seen 'slapcat' as a solution, but I've also read that it's not a
> good idea to run this command while LDAP is running.

What version of OpenLDAP are you using?  This option is just fine with
anything since OpenLDAP 2.2, IIRC.

This is good to know.  I have an open discussion going on right now
about backup procedures, and I recommended ldapsearch instead of
slapcat for the same reason as this guy.

Should this be removed from the man page:
      In general, your slapd(8) should not be running (at least, not in read-
      write mode) when you do this to ensure consistency of the database.