Re: Correct procedure to backup LDAP?

On 8/14/06, Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

--On Monday, August 14, 2006 12:23 PM -0400 Jeff Grant
<jgrant@voicesignal.com> wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I work at a medium-sized software company and we're about 70-100 users
> big now.
>
> We have 2 LDAP servers, and they need to be backed up regularly, *while*
> LDAP is running - if possible.
>
> I've seen 'slapcat' as a solution, but I've also read that it's not a
> good idea to run this command while LDAP is running.

What version of OpenLDAP are you using?  This option is just fine with
anything since OpenLDAP 2.2, IIRC.

--Quanah

This is good to know.  I have an open discussion going on right now
about backup procedures, and I recommended ldapsearch instead of
slapcat for the same reason as this guy.

Should this be removed from the man page:
LIMITATIONS
      In general, your slapd(8) should not be running (at least, not in read-
      write mode) when you do this to ensure consistency of the database.

?