Re: ldap deadlock?

--On Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:04 PM -0500 Curt Blank <curt@uwm.edu> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:46 PM -0500 Curt Blank <curt@uwm.edu>
wrote:

I'm looking for ideas here. ldap seems to deadlock once in a while
whereby it continues to accept connections as noted in the log file but
it does not return anything to the query, the query just hangs.

It's openldap 2.2.28 using Berkley db 4.2.52 as the backend on a SuSE
9.3
platform. All patches are up to snuff on the OS side.

What OpenLDAP backend are you using?  bdb? ldbm? hdb?

I'll note that OL 2.2.28 is rather old at this point.

Yep it is Berkley as stated above and I know it's rather old but in a

Saying you use Berkeley DB 4.2.52 does not in any way say what backend you are using inside of *OpenLDAP*. OpenLDAP has multiple backend types that can utilize Berkeley DB 4.2.52 as the database store. That's why I asked what *OpenLDAP* backend you were using: bdb, hdb, or ldbm. Which you still haven't answered.

As for upgrading, this is why you want to have a test environment. I run Stanford University's production centralized LDAP service, and it too must be up 24x7. I also upgrade them fairly regularly with no outages. It isn't that hard to do.. Just have a few replicas, and make sure everything is load balanced.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html