referals in use

Hi,

I use openldap for a while, but I stuck with getting referrals to
work.

I have to suffixes:
dc=mkpk,dc=hu
dc=itk,ppke

I store them in two diffent databases (yes I want to store them that way
if possible).
Several applications e.g. the mailserver need both databases.

I thought that referals is the solution to my problem so I created
dc=top
and created referals:
root@host:/service/slapd # ldapsearch -v -x -b 'dc=top' ''
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
filter: (objectclass=*)
requesting:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=top> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting:
#

# top
dn: dc=top

# search reference
ref: ldap://ldap.itk.ppke.hu/dc=mkpk,dc=hu??sub

# search reference
ref: ldap://ldap.itk.ppke.hu/dc=itk,dc=ppke??sub

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 4
# numEntries: 1
# numReferences: 2

Now how can I issue searches which search under both tree?

ldapsearch -a always -v -x -b 'dc=top' '' returns the same answer.

ldapsearch -a always -v -x -b 'dc=top' 'uid=cstamas'
returns the "plain" referals while (see above)
ldapsearch -v -x -b 'dc=mkpk,dc=hu' 'uid=cstamas'
returns the desired answer.

Am I wrong here? what I'm missing?
"-a always" is not the right knob?

Thanks in advance.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools."          -- Douglas Adams

CSILLAG Tamas (cstamas) - http://digitus.itk.ppke.hu/~cstamas