Re: OpenLDAP with Unix Authentication

If you want to authenticate to an OpenLDAP server using your
Unix login/password, then you'll likely need to use the
SASL PLAIN mechanism.  The first step is to configure Cyrus
SASL so it uses the Unix login/password information (through
the saslauthd).  Questions in this area should be directed to
the Cyrus SASL list.  Once you have this working, SASL PLAIN
should just work with slapd(8).  Questions in this area can be
directed here.

If you want to use Unix passwords with LDAP simple bind
(DN/password), the you can either use the {SASL}user userPassword
values (to kick the authentication to SASL) or {UNIX}user (to
kick it to UNIX).

Kurt