Re: Error "ber_get_next on fd 11 failed errno=11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)" and connection failure while testing and after 1-2 minutes.

Сергей Богомолов wrote:
Hello!

We recently installed OpenLDAP 2.3.24 on our Intel Xeon 3.8 GHz server.
My task - test OpenLDAP performance.
I use tools: SLAMD 1.8.2 (www.slamd.com), and DirectoryMark 1.3
(www.mindcraft.com/directorymark/)

For testing with DirectoryMark 1.3 I include directive to slamd.conf:

allow bind_v2 bind_anon_dn

(else was error : Error no protocol)
Not test starts, but after 1-2 minutes client system shows couple of error
messages (error! Can't contact LDAP server)
I try to 'telnet' server (telnet port) - it's okay.
Remote telnet to LDAP port - failed.
Local telnet to LDAP port - okay!
Server does not accept requests
In logs:

connection_get(11): got connid=1
connection_read(11): checking for input on id=1
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 5 contents:
ber_get_next
do_unbind
ber_get_next on fd 11 failed errno=11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
connection_closing: readying conn=1 sd=11 for close
connection_resched: reaquiring locks conn=1 sd=11
connection_get(11): got connid=1
connection_read(11): closing, ignoring input for id=1
connection_resched: attempting closing conn=1 sd=11
connection_close: conn=1 sd=11

After sleeping 2-3 minutes server is able to response again. (Rebooting
server also let it's response again).

Base=10.000 users, no replication.

Second I try authentication test on SLAMD 1.8.2 (AuthRate). (User connect to server, and, if successfully, disconnects)
Single user test shows very good performance (on 5 clents and 10 threads
more than successful 3000 auths/second). Random user logins (1009 base) test show some error logins even on 1 client
with 5 threads. (about 11 fails within 5 minutes (300.000 sucesses). Base = 10.000 users.

OS: Solaris 8 X86 02/02 CPU: Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz
RAM: 1Gb (OpenLDAP "eats" 400 mb)
HDD: 50 Gb free

How to prevent server from "sleep"?
Can you post your slapd.conf file. Can't guarantee that will help, but we need to know what type of backing
database you're using and how it is configured. If you're using bdb, did you install the DB_CONFIG file
in the database data directory and tune it?

I'd also advise you read the appropriate sections of the FAQ at http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1.html.
What caught my eye in your debug output was:

  ber_get_next on fd 11 failed errno=11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)

which is listed in the FAQ.

Hope that helps somewhat ...