Re: DN manipulation

James M. Luedke wrote:
Thanks for your reply. There is a strong possibility in the future
i will end up porting OpenLDAP to our platform, however due to a
variety of issues this is not feasible for our time frame. At this
time we do not need a fully featured LDAP server. All we need
are limited bind/unbind/search support. Attempting to setup OpenLDAP
to solve our problem would be like using a sledge hammer to swat a fly.

Considering that OpenLDAP has already been ported to run on everything from IBM mainframes down to embedded cellphone apps, I find it hard to believe that you have a target we haven't covered yet. But again, without more hints from you, we can't offer you the best answer.

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:

Sorry for not directly answering your question, but I'd first answer what
I believe is your implicit question: "what problem do I need to solve?". If your problem is having a fully featured LDAP server that gets data form
a fancy (or proprietary) storage, then OpenLDAP's slapd should be modular
enough to allow you to avoid reinventing the wheel (in Italy, we say
"rediscover hot water"). For example, you could simply write a custom
backend or, if your storage has anything in common with any existing
backend, you could simply add a layer (i.e. an overlay) on top of it. I
strongly recommend you follow this path. Backend and overlay programming
may be a bit harder than plain libldap programming, but much more rewaring
in terms of functionalities (you would exploit all present and future
features of OpenLDAP's slapd) and performances.

p.

--
 -- Howard Chu