accessing the same data with ldap and sql

I have some services using ldap to retrieve information about users. I
also have some old services using information stored on a sql server
(postgresql).

I would like to merge these two sets of informations to simplify the
management but I have the problem is that not all the services using sql
can directly use ldap.

Therefore I'm thinking about using ldap storing all the objects in a
postgresql database using sql backend so that I can access the same
information both through ldap and sql but having only one place where
accounts and data are stored.

Do you think it's possible? Have you ever tried to do it?

Any hint is appreciated.

Thank you.