ldapadd problem: no DN specified

Hi,

I am testing out a new ldap installation by going through the examples given by:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch5/#step1
and I am getting this error:

$bash> ldapadd -x -D "cn=jimbob, dc=example, dc=com" -f
sample-1-people.txt -w dirtysecret
ldapadd: no DN specified

I've verified that slapd is running.
root@fdTest1 /home/dshim/Migration/ldap/zytrax> ps -ef |grep slapd
ldap      5134     1  0 Jul17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/slapd -h
ldap:/// -u ldap

It's probably something silly, but if you could point it out, I'd
appreciate it.

By the way, zytrax's tutorial/book has been very helpful in trying to
learn how ldap/openldap works. I've learned a lot through that site,
and it looks like I still have a LONG way to go.  If you could also
point out other resources (other than www.openldap.org, which btw has
been fantastic), please let me know. Recommended books, websites, etc.
  Thank you for your help, openldap community, and google search of
course..

Dmisc

p.s.
I am using zytrax's given example slapd.conf
(modified a little to reflect the newer version of slapd that I am
running (openldap-2.3.24-2)  on Fedora 5.  It's an rpm package
available under the development tree.)

--------------------------
include         /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
pidfile           /var/run/openldap/slapd.pid
loglevel        -1

database bdb
suffix "dc=example, dc=com"

rootdn "cn=jimbob, dc=example, dc=com"
rootpw dirtysecret
directory       /var/lib/ldapindex   uid     eq
index   cn,gn,mail eq,sub
index sn eq,sub
index ou eq
index default eq,sub
index telephonenumbercachesize 10000
checkpoint 128 15

Following is the content of the ldif file: <sample-1-people.txt>

version: 1

dn: dc=example,dc=com
dc: example
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: Example, Inc.

dn: ou=people, dc=example,dc=com
ou: people
objectclass: organizationalunit

dn: cn=Robert Smith,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: inetOrgPerson
cn: Robert Smith
cn: Robert J Smith
cn: bob  smith