Disabling Special characters in Filters

Hi,

        I am newbie to openldap. I am using pretty old version of openldap
software 2.2.24.

I am trying to fetch data from LDAP server. Whenever I fetch data using
special character  "'*, ( , ), \ " in the filter, it is performing queries
similar to like query of SQL, which is a normal behavior in case of LDAP.
Example if i want to fetch data with an id 5444*, ldap fetches not only
5444* but also fetches all values prefixed by 5444.

I want to know whether there is any option to fetch only 5444* from LDAP,
that is i want to know whether we can disable this filtering option.

Please provide me solution to the above problem.

With Kind Regards,
Madhur