Re: openLDAP BDB back-end trouble

On Jul 11, 2006, at 9:47 AM, Buchan Milne wrote:

On Monday 10 July 2006 21:56, David Schell wrote:
We have been using openLDAP with a BDB backend using Fedora Core 4
for about a year.  Unfortunately, we periodically experience a
problem with BDB database corruption preventing openLDAP from
starting if the server is shut down hard (such as during an extended
power outage).

While I have gotten quite good at restoring the database from a
nightly backup,

When all that would have been required was:

# db_recover -h /var/lib/ldap
?

I was never very successful getting db_recover to work correctly. Maybe because I had the wrong syntax and never really had time to play around to get it to work.

I was wondering if there were database back-ends that
would better handle these situations?

You may rather wonder why RH/Fedora packages are consistently problematic ...

Upgrade to 2.3.x, I don't have packages for FC4 like I do for RHEL4, but you
may consider trying to rebuild them, which will give you a painless parallel
installation with the 2.2.x shipped in the distro (or, convince me to install
an FC4 build chroot).

http://anorien.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/buchan/rhel4/openldap/

I think this is the way I need to go. I don't have much experience with building SRPMs. If you could provide some guidance in rebuilding them, I would happily build them myself.

Are there going to be any gotchas in migrating the existing 2.2.x setup to a 2.3.x setup this way.

David