Re: hints for troubleshooting Replication problems

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:37:09 -0700
Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:

> >> The problem is that you are using an ancient version of OpenLDAP
> >> which only had LDBM as the backend, and it is likely corrupting
> >> itself.  You should really look at upgrading to a modern, supported
> >> release of OpenLDAP.
> >>
> >> --Quanah
> >
> > I agree with you that the old version of OL could be the root cause
> > of my problems. But, I need to make sure that is the case and not
> > something else. Imagine the scenario of upgrading and still have
> > the same problem.
> LDBM has known technical limitations.  LDBM has known corruption
> issues.  I don't use, and never have used, LDBM, nor would I ever
> intend to.  It has been removed from the upcoming OpenLDAP 2.4
> release series because the backends that replace it (BDB & HDB) are
> stable and reliable.  You can continue using your ancient version of
> OpenLDAP, and experience the problems you are having, or you can
> upgrade to a release where *if* you find any problems, you can get
> support for it.  You need to understand that support for issues with
> OpenLDAP 2.0 from this list does not exist, so other than perhaps

I do understand that I am not going to get any support for this version that's
why I asked only for hints how I can troubleshoot the issue.
I believe the troubleshooting steps/guides are the same for all releases,
am I right?

If I had told you that I was using 2.3 what would you have advised me to do for troubleshooting?
I suppose there are some basic and version independent steps to do in order to get close to the

> paying some company to do that for you, the best thing to do is
> upgrade.  I personally have been using slurpd replication without
> issue since OpenLDAP 2.1 (using BDB or HDB as the backend) and not
> run into any issues.
> I suggest reading:
> <http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=ldbm&file=1085>
> and
> <http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=ldbm&file=756>
> in particular.
> --Quanah

Thanks for links, they are quite clear and useful.

I think a good start point for me it would be to check if the backend database in the Slave or Master
is corrupted or not.

Thank you very much for your replies,