Re: spurious connection_read()s

--On Friday, June 16, 2006 11:26 AM -0400 Aaron Richton <richton@nbcs.rutgers.edu> wrote:

This is solaris, right?  I think it is a side effect of the solaris file
descriptor kernel bug.

Wasn't there a workaround in place for that?

Right, the workaround *is* in place. It just happens to log that message, because Solaris isn't correctly closing the file handle. Now that the workaround is in place, slapd won't segfault on Solaris systems when it hits the bug, it'll just log that message.

Not that I think a workaround is such a terrific idea. If I should be
yelling at Sun, I'll yell at Sun. But is there something in the world a
bit less complex than slapd that can prove wrong Solaris behavior? It
would be good to hand them a test case that's smaller than 150KLOC. Or if
its a known issue that needs votes, a Solaris bug id would be more useful
than a test case.

Sun might not consider their odd handling of file descriptors a bug. The condition already returns an undocumented error code, so apparently they think something of it.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITS/Shared Application Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html