Alias password?

Hello,
Maybe a simple question.  I have my database setup similar to this:

dn: cn=john doe,ou=cmc,dc=cmcflex,dc=com
ou: cmc
cn: john doe
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
givenName: John
sn: Doe
mail: johndoe[@]cmcflex.com
userPassword: xxxxxxx

What I would like to be able to do is bind with attribute mail instead of dn. I thought maybe an alias would do:

dn: cn=johndoe[@]cmcflex.com,ou=cmc,dc=cmcflex,dc=com
objectClass: alias
objectClass: extensibleObject
cn: johndoe[@]cmcflex.com
aliasObjectname: cn=john doe,ou=cmc,dc=cmcflex,dc=com

I thought I could use:
ldapsearch -x -D "cn=johndoe[@]cmcflex.com,ou=cmc,dc=cmcflex,dc=com" - w xxxxxx
but I get an invalid credentials (49) error - which I suppose makes sense because there's no user password associated with that CN? But I was hoping that the alias would redirect it to the aliasObjectname attribute. As you can see I'm pretty lost and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt