Assertion `bd->be_replica == ((void *)0)' failed

I just tried setting up Openldap 2.3.19 (latest srpm from FC 5) and when
I slapadd, slapcat, or slapdindex, I get the following message at the
end:

send_ldap_result: conn=-1 op=0 p=0
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd: ../../../servers/slapd/backend.c:483: backend_destroy: Assertion
`bd->be_replica == ((void *)0)' failed.
Aborted

Also any attempt to modify an ldap record immediately segfaults slapd.

On another machine with the identical slapd, I get no such errors (this
machine is the sync-repl client), even with the exact same ldif file.

Any ideas on what I might be missing?  Is this error message coming from
the fact that this server has been a master replica for old-style slurpd
replication?  (trying to replace slurpd with syncrepl)

Michael