Re: alock File Keeps LDAP (slapd) from Starting Up

--On Thursday, May 25, 2006 1:56 PM -0700 Todd Lyons <tlyons@ivenue.com> wrote:

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:17:47PM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

alock is an autorecovery mechanism introduced in the OpenLDAP 2.3
release to assist  with autorecovery.  Given more information on the
error messages coming from alock  would be useful, since it is supposed
to help you recover from hard reboots  gracefully.
BTW, I'm using openldap 2.3.21 on freebsd and linux boxes. I use it
with bdb43. On all machines I have easy reproduceble problem -- if
slapd killing hardly he can't start. Eat all cpu, don't answer to
clients and can be killed only with -9 signal.
After running db_recover slapd start and work fine.
I look in ChangeLog. This issue not fixed in 2.3.2[23], or I'm wrong?
BDB 4.3 is a known problem release.  The suggested BDB release is
4.2.52+patches, and possible BDB 4.4.20+patches.  But not BDB
4.3.anything.

Ah, that's good to know. I upgraded an old 2.1.30 production server to 2.3.21 with bdb 4.3 and the load went through the roof, searches were blindingly slow, etc. I'm rolling back to 2.2.30 right now with db 4.2. We'll see if that fixes my speed problem.

Speaking of speed problem, I'm compiling db and openldap on a PIII 700.
I have a speed problem.  30 minutes to build it.  Heh.

Why would you use OpenLDAP 2.2.30 and not OpenLDAP 2.3.23? ;)

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer