Re: Major revision changes

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:33 PM -0700 Aaron Thomas
> <athomas@deltacable.com> wrote:
>
>> I am dealing with a 3rd party vendor that requests that we install
>> openldap 2.0.27 rather than a newer version (eg 2.3.19 with RHFC5) in
>> order to integrate with an AS400 application.
>>
>> Is there really such a difference between schema between these versions
>> that running on a newer version of software will break any sort of
>> configuration issues.
>
> OL 2.0.x was less strict about schema checking, etc, than later OL
> releases.  So if they have a poorly written schema, or violate schema
> standards, their LDIF file will likely not work with later releases
> unless the data is massaged to be correct.

Aaron, most times you can simply fix the schema. Sometimes sanitizing
the data will be necessary. In rare cases fixes to the LDAP application
has to be made. Without knowing further details, it's hard to tell.

Let them give you the schema files they want to install and some sample
data. Try install / load this in an instance of a recent OpenLDAP
release. If it does not work come here if you want to learn how to do it
yourself or hire somebody if it has to be up and running quickly.

Ciao, Michael.