Database Replication - stumped

Ok guys - I've read and read, researched and researched, and nothing I've found helps me any. I followed the documentation exactly, and my replication still does not work.

I added the following to my master:
replica
    uri=ldap://192.168.0.65
    bindmethod=simple
    credentials=secret
    binddn="cn=replica,dc=somedomain,dc=com"

replogfile /var/log/replog

# ACL entry:
access to *
        by dn="cn=replica,dc=somedomain,dc=com" write
        by self write
        by * none

and on my slave:
updatedn    "cn=replica,dc=somedomain,dc=com"
updateref    ldap://192.168.0.1

the .ldif I created for both servers is:
dn: cn=replica,dc=somedomain,dc=com
cn: replica
objectClass: top
objectClass: Person
sn: replica
userPassword: secret

I'm getting err=19, no user modification allowed from the slave - I don't understand why?
I know nearly nothing about ldap's permission levels, but even if I specify it as the ldap admin's account for replication, it gives me err=19.

If anyone can help me I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!
--
Rob Hall