Re: Slurpd high availability

Jennifer Abel wrote:
Greetings,

I have started looking into slurpd for server replication. We have a
small database, about 65000 entries, and want it to be available all of
the time.

I am going to put 2 different servers into two different locations, and
they need to be mirrors of each other. It looks like slurpd is the
answer. It looks like it would handle a slave going down well, but what
is supposed to happen if the master goes down?

The archives that I found say that multimaster is a bad idea. Any
thoughts on why?

Many, but they're already in the archives too, keep reading.

As solutions go, slurpd is a poor one and will eventually be removed from OpenLDAP. Use OpenLDAP 2.3 with syncrepl. For your "mirror" requirement, there is a "mirrormode" feature in CVS/OpenLDAP 2.4 that addresses this need. It is also available in current releases of Symas CDS if you don't want to build your own source.

--
 -- Howard Chu