creating directory tree from scratch

Hello,

I have the following LDIF:

dn: dc=mydomain,dc=com
dc: mydomain
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: testdomain

That works fine if I use ldapadd to add it as the first entry in my empty directory tree. I can then use my custom java client to add users or OUs or whatever. The problem arises when I use that same set of data in my custom client to create that directory entry as the first entry. I get the error "no global superior knowledge". I'm adding the entry as a single entry with a dn attribute of dc=mydomain,dc=com. Is the ldapadd program splitting the dc items apart and adding them separately in order to not produce the same error I get through my GUI?

If I attempt to create the two dc items separately I can add dc=com with my GUI as the first entry using the following:
dn: dc=com
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
dc: com
o: testdomain

But then if I try to add dc=mydomain with my GUI as a second entry it doesn't end up getting put at the same level but ends up as an actual OU under dc=com instead. That may or may not be because of what I use for the entry which is the following:
dn: dc=mydomain,dc=com
dc: mydomain
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: rootobject

Is that the wrong set of attributes to use for a secondary dc entry? Should I be adding these separately or in the same step? And if they should be added in the same step then does anyone have any idea why the same data works in an LDIF but not anywhere else?

Any tips?

thanks