Re: Data portability between slaves

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> > Given two slaves with identical releases and data, how portable are
> > the BDB files and SLAPCAT files between them?  That is, does the
> > entryUUID attribute (or anything else) contain host-specific
> > information?
>
> They are identical (or should be).

Thanks.

> I've recovered a slave after hard drive failure several times simply by
> stopping slapd on a different slave, and then copying the database from
> that replica to the one with the new hard drive (note that you want to
> run db_recover after stopping slapd, before copying over the files).

To make db_recover update the *.bdb files from the log?  I know it's done
on startup, but I would've thought that a sync would have been done on
shutdown, too.  That explains a couple of things I've seen...

> entryUUID, etc, *must* be the same on all systems for syncrepl to work
> correctly.

Yes, but I was concerned that each host would have its own fingerprint
somewhere...

Thanks again.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9552-5509 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Engrng P/L, Ste 54 Jones Bay Whf, 26-32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont 2009, AU