Re: Hardware specs for OpenLDAP

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 09:09 -0500, Jennifer Abel wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am very new to OpenLDAP. I have been trying to locate documentation
> that will give me an idea of what kind of hardware the system that I
> need will require. I have searched the archives. My search terms may not
> have been the best as I have not found anything of much use. I am
> setting up an OpenLDAP database for my mail servers to authenticate
> against over a network. Right now they are authing against a MySQL
> database on a DL360G2 with out too much trouble. I am expecting to use a
> new DL360G4 for the LDAP server as well. I was wondering if someone
> knows where there might be documents that could help me correctly scale
> my hardware for the task at hand. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated as well.
>
> Currently we have about:
> 68,000 records.
> 10 modifications a hour.
> 340 Queries a minute.
>
> Each query will be for one specific record. The records will be indexed.
> I would like to be able to handle 3x that amount of traffic.

Hi Jennifer,

We have been using HP DL360 G2 dual 1.4Ghz CPU with 2Gb of RAM and 36Gb
drives. Our directory has 10 times less entries than you. We have about
100 search queries/sec. and less than 30 modifications/hour. We did some
stress tests before the servers go into production: we could reach about
1,000 search queries/sec for a single server.

Hope this helps.

Sam