Re: Replication VS copying the master DB

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

--On Sunday, February 26, 2006 2:24 PM -0800 Krishna Sivaramapuram <krishna@everyone.net> wrote:

We're using Openldap 2.3.19 with BDB 4.3.29.

I had stopped replication for a few days to figure out some problems in
our slave machine... Now I've a huge amount of data to replicate... I was
wondering if I should just copy the entire db from the master to the
slave. Is it recommended to copy the master DB to the slave? I know that
we can copy slave db files to another slave. But I haven't seen anything
that says we can copy the db files from the master to a slave. Is this
safe or should I just the replica catch up?

There are no differences in the database format between the masters and slaves... If you have different indexing between them, you will have to reindex, etc.

You'll also have to copy all of the transaction log files.

--
 -- Howard Chu