Re: 2.3.19 relocatable RPM package

Buchan Milne wrote:

On Monday 20 February 2006 14:23, Jehan PROCACCIA wrote:

error: Failed dependencies:
liblber-2.2.so.7 is needed by (installed) cyrus-sasl-2.1.20-5.i386
libldap-2.2.so.7 is needed by (installed) cyrus-sasl-2.1.20-5.i386

This is because there is no library package policy on RH. The relocation aspect should have no impact here (in the case of different library majors).

Do you mean that there are "library package policies" on other distributions ?

Except that now you have packages that claim to provide:
liblber-2.3.so.0
libldap-2.3.so.0
libldap_r-2.3.so.0

However, they will not be found by the library loader.

indeed .

This implies a certain amount of editing to relfect that scpecific
PATH in slapd.conf and ldap init.d startup script !

And, you will need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf or similar, or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for any application that is built against your openldap-devel-2.3.19-1.1_int_evry_jp.i386.rpm

Here I just want to have an uptodate rpm of openldap to run a slapd directory on my FC4, I don't build other application based on that version of openldap. Indeed, I do have to add the new ldap libraries in ld.so.conf in order to run openldap-clients (2.3.19) tools (ldapsearch etc ...) , it's in the README file I provide with the package.

Instead, you could split the library package off to get rid of the dependency problems (ie allow parallel installation of libraries with different major numbers), and provide for parallel installation of binaries (via suffixed names).

good idea !.

But, then you'd end up with the packages I maintain for Mandriva, which also rebuild on RH/Fedora (although I personally only build on RHEL2.1/3/4 at present, they build fine - with some compatibility macros - on all versions of Fedora I have tried):

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/buchan/openldap/

Good, I see the latest 2.3.20 there ! however I don't see the source rpms, are they available so that I give it a try , and what are the "compatibility macros" , you mean rpmacros from mandriva2fedora ?
Thanks.

Regards,
Buchan