Re: OpenLDAP - no access, user doesn't exist, credentials wrong

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:51:05PM +0100, Jürgen Herz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I got started with LDAP and OpenLDAP - but I didn't come far.
> I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.23 and ldaptools of same version from Debian
> Sarge. At installation time I was asked about my admin user and
> password. I've chosen the defaults admin and secret to give it a try.
>
> But I can't do anything - always get
>
> ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
> (when using -x for simple authentication)
> or
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
>      additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database
> (when using SASL)
>
> E.g.
> ldapsearch -D "cn=admin,dc=mysystem,dc=test" -x -w secret cn=itsme
> or
> ldapsearch -D "cn=itsme,dc=mysystem,dc=test" uid=ldap -W
> and entering mypassword as password.

Someone on IRC the other day had a similar problem with a debian setup.
If I remember correctly, there was a bug in the way this admin user is
created. Try specifying rootdn/rootpw in slapd.conf and binding whith
those credentials. When that works, you may want to try changing the
cn=admin password with ldappasswd (binding as rootdn).