SASL/EXTERNAL with a smartcard

Hi,

I know that this is quite off topic, but I am wondering how to use
SASL/EXTERNAL authentication with a certificate stored on a smartcard.

For me it is not under the entire responsibility of the ssl library,
since the LDAP library provide the certificate file, using the
ldap.conf rules. When using a smartcard, you don't use a certificate
file, since everything is in the smartcard, and not in the filesystem.
So it seems that the LDAP library is uncompatible with smartcard TLS
authentication.

Am I wrong ?
Does someone have any link toward a way to achieve this ?

Thank you very much

François Beretti