Re: Change to directory do not get commited to disk ?

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 13:06, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this sound nebulous, I do not know where to start with this
> situation.
>
> I am running OpenLDAP 2.2.13 on RHEL 4 (Scientific Linux, actually).  I
> am using the packages provided by the distribution.  My directory use
> the dbd backend and I have db4 4.2.52 installed, in case it is related.
>
> When I am making a change to my directory, adding an object for example,
> I can see the change with ldapsearch no problem.  If I check the
> database files (that are located in /var/lib/ldap, in my case), the
> ctime remained unchanged.  That lead me to believe the change are not
> commited to disk.
>
> If I shutdown OpenLDAP cleanly, the ctime is updated no problem.  I can
> restart OpenLDAP, and my previous changes are there.  I guess my change
> are saved correctly then.
>
> The problem is when OpenLDAP is shutdown uncleanly, such as when a power
> failure occur.  When OpenLDAP is brought back up, all changes made after
> the last clean restart are lost.  This happened to me recently, and I
> lost quite a bit of data.
>
> I do not believe this behavior is expected; I guess I have either a
> configuration problem or a bug.  I do not know where to start looking to
> fix the situation.  Do anybody have an idea what might cause this behavior
> ?
>
> Thanks for your insights !

(1) set up a checkpoint directive in slapd.conf
(2) Learn about db_recover, and the other various BDB commands
(3) Upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.3, which handles DB recover after an unclean
shutdown automatically
(4) Upgrade to OpenLDAP 2.3, which fixes a bug in how checkpointing was done
in OL 2.2.
(5) Don't use the OpenLDAP shipped by your distro, it is very out of date
(6) You may want to try Symas Corporations free CDS distribution, based on
OpenLDAP 2.3.  See http://www.symas.com/

--Quanah
--
Quanah Gibson-Mount