Re: adding a user

> command as root to see if that works). I get the following error either way:
> SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: internal (implementation specific) error
> (80) additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database.
>

> What am i missing?

You're probably missing a -x to specify a simple bind.

> > Also- make sure you don't have ldapadd aliased anywhere.
> i don't. I got it to work before but since this is such a convoluted
> piece of software and I don't use it enough I forgot how I got it to
> work before. I'm working on creating an application that will allow me
> to avoid having to remember the cryptic syntax.

Yes, most server software is complicated.  Isn't it cool that you can
let this one run long enough without intervention that you forget
about it?  ;)

See the man page LDAP.CONF(5) on how to set defaults for ldapsearch.
That way you can avoid all your typing without even shell scripting.
But if you want to make a command, here's one for free:

#!/bin/sh
ldapsearch -D dn -b base -x -W -L $1

_Matt